We are recruiting Volunteer guides for Crypt and Hidden Spaces tours
We are looking for help to deliver our exciting hidden spaces tours of our crypt and bell ringing chamber which are due to begin in spring 2020. If you are interested in being a part of this activity and you enjoy presenting to people and engaging with their learning please get in touch. A full role description is below.
The St Alfege Church Heart of Greenwich Place and People Project aims to create a step change in how audiences experience the heritage of St Alfege Church. The project aims to connect with local school children and their families, students, history, music and architecture enthusiasts, volunteers and visitors to the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site through a wide-ranging programme of community engagement activity, new interpretation and events focusing on three interconnecting themes:
• Inspirational architecture – exploring and unlocking the architecture, design and craftsmanship of this beautiful building.
• An extraordinary cast of characters – revealing the stories of the many prominent people associated with the church and the site.
• The Big Picture – placing St Alfege at the heart of the wider cultural and social development in Greenwich over time.
The project will enable St Alfege Church to play its part fully in the story of Greenwich, reaching visitors to the area and in the wider community and taking its place as a heritage destination worth visiting in the World Heritage Site.
As a part of the project the church is going to offer regular special hidden access hard hat tours into the crypt area, revealing the many stories of the people who have played their part in the history of Greenwich. Crypt and Hidden Spaces Tour Guide Volunteers at the church will play an important part in giving access to this hidden space by leading groups and bringing the its heritage to life for the public.
The volunteer role
As a St Alfege Church Crypt and Hidden Spaces Tour Guide you will play a central role in helping people engage with and enjoy the heritage of the church and its place in the wider story of Greenwich. The kind of activities you might be involved in could include:
• Welcoming the public and engaging them in the architecture, characters and local history connections of the church to enhance their experience as visitors.
• Leading small groups on scripted hard hat tours in the church’s crypt and other hidden spaces.
• Supporting visitors in getting the most from heritage interpretation in the church.
• Answering visitor queries and providing quality customer service.
• Ensuring heritage interpretation is kept to high standards of presentation and tidiness.
• Managing groups and ensuring they safely enjoy the experience of visiting the crypt and other hidden spaces.
• Proactively offering information on the church’s history, promoting upcoming events and signposting other ways visitors can get more actively involved.
• Talking to visitors about the St Alfege Church Heart of Greenwich Place and People Project.
• Recording visitor numbers in the visitor record book.
• Occasionally carrying out surveys and evaluation on site.
• Reporting any serious issues, concerns, accidents and emergencies promptly.
• Recording personal hours of volunteering and passing these on to the church team.
• Taking part in relevant training and championing an inclusive approach in all work.
The support you’ll give us as a volunteer is of huge benefit to the project, and in turn we aim to make sure that you enjoy a valuable and memorable experience.
What we can offer you
• A friendly team led by the church’s Volunteer Development Manager.
• A chance to meet new people and make professional contacts.
• On the job training in public engagement, tour guiding and heritage interpretation.
• Expenses for travel to volunteer.
• Regular volunteer social and networking events.
• New experiences and an opportunity to give something back.
• Formal recognition of skills development to aid CV or job applications.
What we’re looking for
• Polite and friendly people over the age of 18.
• A welcoming approach to working alongside the public.
• An enthusiasm to develop knowledge of St Alfege Church and its heritage and share this in a positive and lively way.
• Interest in working with groups and communicating heritage stories in an accessible and engaging manner.
• People who enjoy working as part of a small, dedicated team.
• A positive attitude and willingness to offer help throughout your volunteering shifts.
It would be great if you have some of the following qualities, skills and experience
• An interest in heritage, architecture, local history or the Greenwich Maritime World Heritage Site.
• Confidence and enthusiasm for presenting to groups of people.
• The ability to work as part of a team and be flexible.
Important information about volunteering at St Alfege Church
Tours are on offer weekly, so to make scheduling as manageable as possible we ask volunteers to commit to at least 1 shift a month over a 12-month period or more frequent tours over a shorter period.
• Shifts will be flexible but depending on when you indicate you are available to volunteer might include some weekend working.
• You will be expected to attend an induction training session.
• Training will be embedded in the role, and you will work alongside the church team to ensure you feel confident in carrying out the tasks you are involved in.
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest, with the reference ‘St Alfege Church Crypt Tour Guide Volunteer’ in the subject line by date and we’ll get in touch with details of how to apply.
The St Alfege Church Heart of Greenwich Place and People Project aims to create a step change in how audiences experience the heritage of St Alfege Church. Tour guides for hidden spaces at the church will be at the heart of bringing the church’s heritage to life for the public and visiting groups. Pre planned tours will be offered to the public and will incorporate the crypt and the bell chamber of St Alfege Church.